Re: jigdo in SoC [Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?]

On Mar 17, 2008, at 7:23 PM, Richard Atterer wrote:

Re: "What CDs/DVDs?" I agree with many others here: Produce images (and .jigdos) for all images, but only mirror a limited subset via HTTP/ FTP.

The commercial CD/DVD sellers can produce those CDs and DVDs that aren't available directly. That's part of their "value added".

Another part of their value added is bandwidth savings. If I'm working in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, on a 600-MB/month bandwidth budget, I'll be happy to pay somebody else (in, say, Australia or in one of the PNG coastal towns) to do the downloading and compilation of a full set of installation CDs.

Giving the commercial resellers the tools (such as jigdo) to do this is an important part of Debian's social responsibility. Giving them tools (such as debian-cd) to customize and extend their offerings is part of the open source philosophy.

Rick