Re: What CDs and DVDs should we produce for lenny?

On Monday 17 March 2008, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> [ Please note Reply-To: to debian-cd... ]
>
> Hi folks,
>
> It's time for me to ask the question again - what CDs and DVDs will we
> find useful enough that we should make them for lenny? The reason I'm
> asking is that we're looking at a *huge* number of discs, and it's not
> clear that they'll all be useful. I've just finished building the full
> set for lenny d-i beta 1 (hence why I've been so quiet the last few
> days), and what we're looking at *now* is quite scary:
>
>  2 small CDs per arch (business card, netinst)
>  ~30 CDs per arch for a full CD set
>  ~4 DVDs per arch for a full DVD set
>  (total 353 CDs, 51 DVDs, 426 GB)
>
> Things are only going to get bigger: we're about to add armel to the
> mix, and I'm expecting that we're going to grow further yet in terms
> of the number and sizes of packages before we release lenny. That
> leaves us with a huge amount of data for us to build and host, and for
> our mirrors to handle too. So...

My suggestion for a minimal number of discs.  Enough CDs and DVDs to
include all the packages associated with the tasks in tasksel.
At the moment there are only two such packages on the fifth CD.  It might
be an idea to look at the "recommends" and "suggests" of these tasksel
packages.
There will be other packages that people would expect to be on the discs,
in my case mc and gpm are two of these.
If this were to be adopted then we would need 4-5 CDs and one DVD per
architecture.
This would be comparable in size to other large distributions.

>  1. Is it worth making full sets of CDs at all? Can we rely on people
>     having a net connection or being able to use DVDs if they want
>     *everything*?

A novice should be discouraged from trying to download a full set.  Enough
said.
"Everything" can be provided by network or jigdo.

If people want the full physical disc set there are disc vendors (warning,
I am one).  I usually recommend the number of Debian discs that contain
the tasksel packages (as above), and get asked for a larger set every two
or three years.

>  2. Is it worth producing all the CDs/DVDs/whatever for all the
>     architectures?
Jigdo files for the complete sets.

>  3. For some arches, should we just provide the first couple of CDs
>     and a full set of DVDs? This is a bit of a compromise option - if
>     a given machine will not boot from DVD, but can boot from CD and
>     get the rest of its packages from a network share then all's good.

No comment.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business