Re: Debian 4 ISO CDs

On Thursday 19 July 2007 00:51, Mehdi Farhoudi wrote:
> I want to start downloading the Debian 4 ISO CDs to run it on an i368
> processor for the first time.
> I realized there are 21 image disks available.
>
> As I want to start building a FTP and mail server, which images should
> I download? Or how many of the first CDs should be enough?

For most common purposes the first 2 or 3 images should be sufficient. If
you are really only interested in a mail and FTP server, even only the
first CD image would be enough. It depends on which server software you
want. For email, both exim4 postfix are included on CD1, but some related
packages (like database backends on spam filtering packages) may be on
later CDs. Packages are included on CDs based on their popularity.

See also:
- http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd
- http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#search-for-package

> If I want to go for KDE rather than Gnome, how should I use the
> kde-cd-1.iso?

Just boot it like any other installation CD. However, it is an image that
stands by itself and can not be used as a replacement for the first CD of
the regular set.
It can still be used in combination with the regular set, but then you'll
need to load (with apt-cdrom) the regular CD1 _in addition to_ the KDE
CD1. The packaging tools will sort out any overlap between the CDs.

> Thank you for your assistant.

You're welcome.

Cheers,
FJP