Re: netinst, businesscard, and media sizes

On Thursday 19 April 2007 02:22, Joey Hess wrote:
> The mini CD size is the primary target of the netinst. A secondary
> target is putting the netinst on a hd-media usb stick. We were not able
> to keep it fitting on a 128 mb stick for etch, so the current target
> there is 256 mb, of which ~245 mb is available for the netinst.

A tertiary target IMHO is to keep the download size down as much as
possible given the installations methods the two variants support (which
IMO is the real primairy goal):
- businesscard: contains only boot support and installer components
- netinst: additionally contains what's needed to install a base system

This basic "installation method" goal also explains why some images are
bigger than the target size: those arches either have a huge number of
kernels and initrds, or just huge binaries. This is unfortunate, but

Filling up the space to the target size is IMO not a target.

> IMHO the best use of the space for i386 would be including a full set
> of the kernels d-i can install on there, instead of only the 486 and
> 686 kernels. That would fix one of the current hidden problems of using
> the netinst, that you may not get the ideal optimised kernel.

True, that would be an option. Do you only mean the k7 kernel, or also the
64-bits kernel, or even the xen/vserver kernels?

OTOH, we already do install a good working kernel with the netinst (at
least, now that the bug where we installed a 486 instead of a 686 kernel
on k6/k7 hardware is fixed) and changing a kernel after installation is
relatively straightforward.

This has to be weighed against the increased download size.