Re: netinst, businesscard, and media sizes

Matt Taggart:
> I have been told (by Steve Langasek) that the netinst image sizes are
> "whatever it takes to do net install, to be used on a regular CD but kept as
> small as possible for download purposes".  The netinst images are all pretty
> close to the 185mb mini-CD size,
>
> arch    size   free space on a 185mb disk
> arm:    136mb    49mb
> sparc:  138mb    47mb
> amd64:  145mb    40mb
> i386:   159mb    26mb
> alpha:  162mb    23mb
> hppa:   162mb    23mb
> mips:   168mb    17mb
> mipsel: 170mb    15mb
> ia64:   212mb   -27mb
> ppc:    234mb   -49mb

The mini CD size is the primary target of the netinst. A secondary
target is putting the netinst on a hd-media usb stick. We were not able
to keep it fitting on a 128 mb stick for etch, so the current target
there is 256 mb, of which ~245 mb is available for the netinst.

> Only ia64 and powerpc are over that size which is good, that means that most
> of the current netinst images are usable on miniCDs, if not optimal. But
> there's also some opportunity to squeeze a little more on there for most of
> the archs. Getting the ia64 and powerpc below 185mb would be good, making use
> of the extra space on the other archs would be a bonus.

IMHO the best use of the space for i386 would be including a full set
of the kernels d-i can install on there, instead of only the 486 and 686
kernels. That would fix one of the current hidden problems of using the netinst,
that you may not get the ideal optimised kernel.

--
see shy jo