Re: links to torrents for weekly built dvd images seem to be missing

On Sun, 24 Dec 2006, Steve McIntyre wrote:

On Mon, Dec 25, 2006 at 12:33:09AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
On Sunday 24 December 2006 23:55, peter green wrote:

the weekly build bittorrent section has only a line for cd but torrents
for the dvds do seem to exist at
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/<arch>/bt-cd/

Yes, IIRC this was done on purpose as torrents for weekly DVDs will in
general be only badly seeded (?) and thus use of bittorrent is not really
recommended. Jigdo is preferred for weekly DVDs.

Maybe it would be better if these torrents were no longer generated?

Possibly. I can disable them if that's desired...

The weekly DVDs are just as badly seeded as the CDs. If you worry about the ammount of seeds etc, just cut out the links to everything but i386 (and possibly amd64 and ppc). Those are the only ones that'll get more seeds than my initial seed.

The reason I see for not recommending DVD torrents is rather that the download is likely to break due to a new edition coming out before the download is done. On the other hand, I think there is value in keeping the weekly builds as close to (future) release builds as possible.

/Mattias Wadenstein