Re: i386-xfce-CD-1 dated 2006/12/19

Joey Hess wrote:
> tony mancill wrote:
>> I built i386-xfce-CD-1 [0] using jigdo and didn't get very far due to
>> missing kernel modules, which meant no support for the NIC.
>
> Yes, it's known to be broken, should be fixed in next week's build.

Cool.

>> Something else I just noticed - the spashscreen right after starting
>> "installgui" doesn't look right.  (See second attachment.)  The GUI after
>> that, however, looks fabulous!  BTW, it's evident from the screenshots that
>> I'm doing this testing under VMware.
>
> That's not a splashscreen, that's a transient mess that comes up
> displaying whatever was previously in video memory before it
> writes anything to the screen.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

> Your screenshot of the running installer, BTW, is not a GUI, that's the
> text mode installer. Either the GUI installer failed to start and fell
> back to this, or you didn't start it with installgui for that
> screenshot.

Yes, it's the latter.  I did some testing with installgui after I ran across
the modules problem using the default text-based installer.

XFCE has quickly supplanted both what I use and recommend to others when I
advocate switching to Linux (and I still prefer Debian to Xubuntu), so thank
you for your work on this.  I'm looking forward to testing more next week.

Cheers,
tony