Re: CD/DVD building on farbror

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 04:26:52PM +0100, Richard Atterer wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:14:46PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>> On farbror, we're incurring the extra disk bandwidth hit of building ISO
>> files alongside the jigdo files.
>
>FWIW, it might be beneficial not to have the OS cache the .iso data after
>it has been written to disc. That way, when jigdo-file or JTE write the
>.iso file, the file data does not push other data (e.g. from input .deb
>files) out of the cache.
>
>Basically, one would have to use something like
>posix_fadvise(fd,0,0,POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE).
>
>ISTR hearing once that this only really works for read accesses under
>Linux, and that one would have to read back written data immediately to
>trigger the right behaviour. I can't find any references to this right now,
>so just treat it as urban myth. :)

:-)

I *might* give this a try, but it would involve compiling up a
locally-hacked mkisofs, which I'd rather avoid if I can. I've decided
to drop back to serial builds for now for the sake of simplicity; I
may come back to this in a while once i get some more free time...

"Every time you use Tcl, God kills a kitten." -- Malcolm Ray