Re: CD/DVD building on farbror

On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:14:46PM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On farbror, we're incurring the extra disk bandwidth hit of building ISO
> files alongside the jigdo files.

FWIW, it might be beneficial not to have the OS cache the .iso data after
it has been written to disc. That way, when jigdo-file or JTE write the
.iso file, the file data does not push other data (e.g. from input .deb
files) out of the cache.

Basically, one would have to use something like
posix_fadvise(fd,0,0,POSIX_FADV_NOREUSE).

ISTR hearing once that this only really works for read accesses under
Linux, and that one would have to read back written data immediately to
trigger the right behaviour. I can't find any references to this right now,
so just treat it as urban myth. :)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯