Re: brainstorming

On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 02:26:59PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2006 at 06:44:32PM +0200, Carlos Parra Camargo wrote:
> >  I've been doing a little of brainstorming about debian-cd and what can
> >be the next version of debian-cd, you can have a look at:
> >
> >    http://wiki.debian.org/debian-cd - I have added some notes to the
> >    current structure of the current version (at trunk/).
> >
> >    http://wiki.debian.org/debian-cd-ng - I have added a Structure and a
> >    Components section.
> >
> >  Comments will be welcome.
>
> A few things could do with some extra description/discussion:
>
>   * Smart warnings: what exactly do you mean?

  If there is a problem (not critical):
     1. point what's happening
     2. show how to solve
  If something goes wrong:
     1. point what's happening
     2. show how to solve

>   * Alongside mixing binaries and sources on the same CD: a major
>     feature that lots of people have been asking for is CDs/DVDs
>     containing binaries for multiple architectures. How would you go
>     about doing that?

   Ok, i'm thinking in adding a variable at debian-cd.conf called
MultiArchitecture:

   Ex:
   MultiArchitecture = i386 ia64 powerpc sparc

   This variable will be useful to combine multiple architectures at
time of the tree generation:

   Way A:
     In a early stage we generate the tree for each arch.
     Later it could be a stage that combine all the trees generated.
     The logic isn't easy because at the time that you are going to
     generate the tree for i386 you have to know how much size are going to
     use the rest of the trees and so on.

  Way B:
     Maybe it could be better to generate the trees in this way:

     # loop until we don't have space
     until tree.no_space_left():
       for arch in MultiArchitecture:
         tree.append(get_task(arch).next_package())

     # Remove the last items to have trees of a correct size
     tree.remove_last_package_from_each_arch()

  I need to study the way to mix the boot methods for differents
architectures, as long as i only have access to i386 and may be to
powerpc i will need help here.

>   * Cleaner output: what do you mean? The logs from debian-cd, or the
>     output CD?

    I like the logs from debian-cd, log.list2cds for example.
    I mean the output to the shell of all the proccess, for example, since you
execute build_all.sh

>   * Signed Release files is a hard problem for CDs - there's been
>     quite a lot of discussion about it already on the list if you
>     check the archive.

    Yes, i've just read variout threads about that, i'm going to hide
this feature until i'm sure.

  Still brainstorming... ;)
--
Carlos Parra Camargo