Re: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update (3)

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 02:23:45AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> I've made a complete mess of CD images for Beta2 so far as the result of a
> wrong assumption. This means, as some installation reports and comments
> have shown, that CD images linked from [1] have been broken since last
> Friday.

> The good news is that there are now good Beta2 netinst and businesscard CD
> test images available from [1]. Note that these are not the regular
> etch_d-i or sid_d-i. The correct link for Beta2 images is currently:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/beta2-test-build/

I'm pretty sure http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/beta2-test-build/ aren't
yet the ones I want for alpha, since I want people to be able to test with
2.6.15-7 on TITAN-class systems, so I went looking in
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/etch_d-i/20060304/alpha/iso-cd/
instead.  The businesscard CD here still has the wrong initrd in it --
it contains modules for 2.4.27, but d-i is supposed to be using 2.6.15 on
alpha for beta2.  Wasn't this supposed to be fixed?  Isn't it the point of
"etch" daily builds that they would take the most recent initrds from
unstable, and then pull the packages from testing?  Building daily
businesscard/netinst images with the initrds from testing is pretty
pointless when those initrds are only updated at the time of a d-i beta/RC.
Etch dailies built like this are completely broken right now, and during
those parts of the d-i release cycle when they *aren't* broken, they don't
seem to have much advantage over sid dailies either.

For folks on debian-alpha,
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/sid_d-i/current/alpha/iso-cd/
appears to be the right url for images using the latest 2.6.15-7 kernel
package, which is the one that should work on TITAN-class systems.  Testing
& feedback appreciated.