Re: linux26+SATA Installer Woes...

--On December 1, 2005 4:29:55 PM -0500 lrirwin <lrirwin@alum.wustl.edu> wrote:

Hi Michael,
I was able to use the Etch Testing CD's and load modules that were needed
when it first did not recognize the SATA subsystem. Once I loaded the
required modules in the correct order (scsi_mod, sd_mod, libata, ata_piix
(for the ICH7 chipset on this Intel motherboard)), the 2 Seagate 80GB
SATA drives came up without any interference with my IDE CD-ROM...
No expert mode, no re-compiling, no patching...

Yeah my problem is more that the thing doesn't see the CDROM drive at all because ata_piix takes over ide1, if i make sure the ide-cd and related stuff is loaded first it works out fine. Next machine we'll give etch's installer a try.

The only problem I have now is that the 3rd SATA device is an IOmega REV
drive... Can't see it at all (except in the BIOS)...
Otherwise, the only thing I've had to get used to is "aptitude" vs.
"dselect"...

I've been using aptitude for a while now so that's not a problem here :)

(Sure would love to get that REV drive working though... I'm so tired of
Travan tape drives...)

Later,
Larry Irwin
V.P. Development