Re: Bits from the CD team: plans for debian-cd v3.0

Le mardi 12 juillet 2005 à 19:08 +0200, Robert Lemmen a écrit :
> >     [...] once the tree gets to within a small
> >     margin of the target, we can start running mkisofs -print-size to
> >     check exactly how large the resulting image would be. It will even
>
> is this really necessary? can't we somehow determine how much will fit
> on the cd without doing this?

To calculate the exact size of the image, you must have knowledge of
ISO-9660 and mkisofs has this knowledge. So it looks logical to rely on
it rather than reinvent the wheel.

The image is by definition larger than the sum of the file size. You
have space lost for the filesystem meta-data and also because of the way
how data is stored (fixed-size blocks, ...).

Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com
Earn money with free software: http://www.geniustrader.org