Re: Business Card ISOs

Richard Atterer <richard@2005.atterer.net> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 02:56:26PM +0100, Sam Penny wrote:
>> On 7/5/05, Richard Atterer <richard@2005.atterer.net> wrote:
>> > The sizes are really only checked for i386 at the moment. Someone
>> > interested in powerpc businesscard images would have to invest some
>> > work to reduce the size.
>>
>> That's fair enough, maybe I'll step in and volunteer to do it some
>> day, but probably not until I've got a real ppc!
>>
>> In the meantime, perhaps the page should be adjusted to reflect the
>> situation? Perhaps wording something like this would work?
>>
>> "These images aim to be small enough to fit on a "Business Card" CD.
>> The i386 image is around 30MB, though the size of the images for some
>> of the less used archtectures are not so vigorously controlled."
>
> OK, thanks - I've added this short paragraph further up on the page
> instead:
>
>   _The image size is larger than the 180 MB/40 MB mentioned below!_
>   Yes - at the moment, the size is only checked for the i386 architecture,
>   other architectures may exceed the given sizes.
>
> Hope that's OK.
> Cheers,
>
>   Richard

I wonder if the businesscard size is usefull at all. Any system you
can install with the businesscard images you can also install with
just the netboot.iso (~4Mb). Only drawback is that netboot breaks _if_
the next point release gets a new kernel-image for D-I.

Instead of the businesscard images it might be more usefull to create
multiarch netboot images for etch. e.g. i386+amd64+ppc on one image,
mips+mipsel+sparc on another.

MfG
        Goswin