Re: CD mirrors

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004, Richard Atterer wrote:

Hi,

please have a look at the new <http://www.debian.org/CD/mirroring/>, I hope
the information is now closer to the truth than before. :-7

Mattias, is the page correct from your POV?

Yeah, it looks alright.

Some further notes:

* The rsync URL for the beta/unstable/testing images does not have a "pub/"
in it, unlike the HTTP/FTP URLs. Is it worth it to make this uniform or
should we just leave it like that?

I've added pub/ if you want that, both are available.

One note though, the the full isos aren't in cdimage-testing, but in pub/weekly/ right now. This because cdimage-testing is a plain mirror from gluck with nothing added.

Manty, etc: Should we look at getting a consensus on what isos we would like published and then put them into the cdimage-testing directory? With the goal of having cdimage-testing (or some other directory) turn into what is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for debian-cd/ at release time?

* I'm boldly declaring on the page that DVD images have names ending in
-dvd.iso and dual-layer images have names ending in -dldvd.iso!

Yay!

* For consistency, should CD images' names end in -cd.iso? It might make it
easier for mirror admins to in/exclude CD images from mirroring.

I think this would be a good idea.

* I don't remember clearly what the plans WRT full DVD images were: Will
there be a full set of images for all arches? Probably not... full set for
i386? One DVD image for i386? What about dual-layer? %-| (IOW: Mattias, how
much disk space will be available by release time?;)
<http://www.debian.org/CD/mirroring/#names> is probably wrong ATM.

The space available would be 100-120 gigs, this both on cdimage.d.o and on the primary push-triggered mirrors (at least, this is what I asked of them when they signed up). I think we agreed that dual-layer isos would be overkill, since those are primarily of interest for vendors, not individual users. But that a full i386 dvd set would be very good to carry. As would iso sets.

* Could /export/ftp/pub/cdimage-testing on farbror be made writable by
deb-cd? I'd like to install a cron job which runs "du" over the CD image
directories, so that prospective mirror admins can always get up-to-date
info on the actual size requirements. I was thinking of publishing the "du"
output as /export/ftp/pub/cdimage-testing/cdmirror-sizes.txt...

I'll take a look at it.