Re: CD mirrors

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Richard Atterer wrote:

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 12:30:03PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Richard Atterer wrote:
There is no definitive CD mirror directory structure. :-(

Yes, but we fixed that by defining a definitive CD mirror directory
structure to bethe one on cdimage.debian.org. I think we even had
consensus on that on this list about a year ago.

Ah, I think you're right! Looking at Adam's list, a significant number of
mirrors do not seem to have caught up with the changes, though. :-/

Well, some of them haven't and some of them have dropped debian-cd since years ago, I think. At least this way mirrors with files can be found and some incentive for mirrors to catch up.

Can you provide a list of directory paths for the various image variants?
IOW, if full images of single/dual-layer DVDs, netinst, business-card etc
images are made available, where on the server will they appear, and where
the corresponding .jigdo/.template files, if any?

Not yet, and I need some input on this. How should this be organized so the users can find the correct jigdo and iso? My suggestion so far has been to put them all into the same arch directory and make the name reflect what kind of iso/jigdo it is. Any other suggestions/comments?

FTP/HTTP mirroring is discouraged
---------------------------------
"discouraged" instead of the current "not suitable", which is too strong
IMO.

Yes.

rsync is acceptable
-------------------
With the new-style names, binary patching of subreleases is no longer
possible because the leaf names change. So rsync does not have that much of
an advantage over HTTP/FTP, except that it verifies file checksums etc.

Well, rsync has resonably good handling of metadata etc too, so you get an exact mirror.

Can someone provide tested, working rsync commands? At a guess you'll want
--archive, --block-size=8192 to increase the speed, possibly --partial in
case a long transfer is interrupted... I'll play around with rsync to come
up with working --include/--exclude switches for e.g. i386+source, only
first 3 CDs etc.

Well, the downside of --partial is that if you are updating a mostly correct iso and interrupt early, you get a very small partial file instead of the large mostly correct old iso. But I guess that for this --partial might be more useful.

jigdo-mirror + rsync is recommended
Link to your page.

jigdo-mirror is recommended
I'll leave that section mostly the same...

Sounds good to me.

/Mattias Wadenstein