Re: sarge CD images: kindly elaborate?

Hi Russell,

On Mon, Sep 06, 2004 at 10:29:39PM -0500, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> Note (Aug 30, 2004): The weekly CD build process is being modified to
> allow the fast generation of sarge CD images. While this work continues,
> no new weekly images are built - do not attempt to download images whose
> timestamp shows them to be older than one week!

> Do you mean to say simply that new CD images are to be posted whenever
> they become available, rather than on a rigid weekly schedule?

No, the note means that the weekly builds will continue once everything is
set up and working again.

> And what should I do if I need an image, but the newest image listed on
> the download page:
>
>    http://cdimage.debian.org/pub/cdimage-testing/cd/jigdo-area/
>
> is more than a week old?

Um - trying the old images may not work. You can try Attila Nagy's
unofficial images at
<ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/sarge/>, but note that
they're probably not suitable for installation, just as a package source.
If you need to install Debian using CDs, try downloading the new beta
installer from <http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/> and see
whether it works together with the fsn.hu images.

> Also, I notice that the latest DVD image for the i386 is dated the 6th of
> September, whereas the latest CD image for the i386 is dated the 7th of
> August.  Does this imply that CDs are deprecated in favour of DVDs?

No, there will be various image sizes for the Debian release. AFAIK, this
includes regular CD images, possibly a business-card sized image, and
single and dual layer DVD images. CD images will definitely continue to be
available for a long time.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯