Re: Bittorrents of current release available

On Sun, 9 May 2004, Joey Hess wrote:

> Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > Ok, now it should start at boot. I haven't heard any complaints about it
> > not working (no success stories either though), so it might work.
> >
> > I suggest:
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/torrents/
> >
> > To go with "images" and "jigdo" in the debian-cd/ directory with a similar
> > internal structure. Any objections? Would it preferable to keep them in
> > the same directory as the isos? Otherwise I'll go ahead and implement it.
>
> Any chance we could get torrents of the weekly built full sarge isos?
> I hope the next d-i release will include full isos and not only netinst,
> and there should be a larger demand then.

Well, this should be possible if we can clean up the ftpmirror filesystem
a bit (Richard? Phil? Joy?). It might take a while to build the full iso
set from jigdos and then torrents out of them, but it should be doable in
a few days.

Since I'd rather not drop the current stable iso set it will be a bit
tight with the current storage. If Richard Atterer can drop most of the
dvd-generation data it should fit though. Anyone have exact numbers for
how much space it will take?

Also note that for a low number of downloaders, the plain http is likely
to be faster, since bittorrent uses an order of magnitude more cpu for
pushing bits.

/Mattias Wadenstein