Re: FIXED: Re: jigdo-lite Error: ... does not match checksum in template data

On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 11:49:45AM +0200, Richard Atterer wrote:
>On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 01:50:32AM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>> I'm now seeing another minor issue. "jigdo-file ls" shows
>> adduser_3.59_all.deb to have rsyncsum kRjI35yjRzk whereas my own debug
>> tools show it to be kRjI35yjRz5 - note the last character is
>> changed.
>
>Hmm, I believe your base64 implementation might be buggy. :-/

>I just compared our two implementations of base64. Did you use my code as a
>reference for your work or is there only one way to implement it??  Anyway,
>the algorithm is almost exactly the same except for some tiny differences.
>Applying the patch below (untested, sorry) might make a difference.

Correct. Your patch fixes it. A base64 algorithm is always going to be
rather similar... :-)

>> Richard, PLEASE for future versions of jigdo drop this silly bastardised
>> base64 encoding that you're using. It makes life _very_ difficult when
>> debugging things if the checksum output format is not simple. Base 16
>> good, base 64 bad.
>
>Um, I'll think about it, but I don't see a problem here. IMHO the only
>thing that's more difficult is the implementation of the binary->baseX
>conversion, so if /that/ is correct, everything should be fine... :-/

The problem is that the rest of the world outputs large binary data
into text format by using hexadecimal; it's easy to understand and
much easier to output and (more importantly) parse in a variety of
languages. The only reason I can see in favour of the base64 encoding
is a reduction in output size, and I'm not convinced that the small
gains are worth the hassle. Please consider moving to the more
standard format... :-P

Is there anybody out there?