Re: changes to Debian's web page

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 08:52:34PM +0100, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> I didn't know were to send this, so as the changes are related to debian-cd
> I'm posting it here with the aim that somebody with powers to modify the web
> can do it.

I'm the sort-of-maintainer of the pages under /CD/, but you had better CC
debian-www in the future (CCd now), in case I'm not around or busy.
Comments on my changes are welcome.

> These are changes that I believe should be done because of the changes in
> the cd image production that we've had lately, there are new images like
> dvd, and also some paths have changed, I'm noting the web page and then
> the changes I suggest:
>

> http://www.debian.org/distrib/
>
> Maybe a note about the DVD images should be put here.

I'll leave this to someone else. (Haven't CVS checked out that part of the
website.)

> http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/
>
> In "Are DVD images of Debian available?" section: we should modify the
> paragraph where we state that "only unofficial DVD images for..."
> to state that there are official DVD images for "testing".

  release and official ones for the "testing" release can be
  downloaded.</p>

> In "Where are the CDs for architecture X?" section: I think that the first
> two paragraphs should be rebuilt into one where we don't mention the stable
> distro as in the link we are using for the stable distro we also have links
> for testing, also, I plan to remove cdimage-unofficial.debian.net in the
> near future, so it is better if we can remove it now.

OK, removed the reference to cdimage-unofficial.debian.net. The first
bullet looks OK to me like that, so I've added another bullet about testing
images:

  <li>If a Debian port to a new architecture exists, but has not
  yet been released officially, CD images may or may not be
  available. Again, see the <a href="../">"Debian on CD"</a> page - in
  contrast to stable images, only one download option may be
  supported, so have a look at both the "jigdo" and "HTTP/FTP"
  sections.</li>

> In "The software on the official CDs is outdated - why don't you release a
> new version?" section: the last paragraph should be rewritten to let people
> know that there is also official testing cds and dvds, and maybe add a link
> so that people can find the jigdo images.

Right - that paragraph was written when only Attila made testing snapshots.
But being lazy, all I did was remove the "unofficial":   ;-)

  that are generated automatically every week. However, note that
  there is <em>no support for security problems</em> for "testing" -
  in extreme cases, several weeks can go by before security holes

> http://www.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/
>
> The link for the cd jigdos should now point to
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/cd/jigdo-area/
> in here:
>
>   * Official jigdo files for the "testing" distribution on CD (all
>     architectures, regenerated weekly)

Changed.

> http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/
>
> We are announcing the unofficial dvd images even though they are only
> available through jigdo, while the official ones, available the same way at
> http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/dvd/ are not announced.

This short list of "see below"/"only with jigdo" is there because you can
tell from the access logs that most people go straight to the "HTTP/FTP"
page without reading the rest of the CD/DVD-related info. If the list
weren't there, those people would not be aware that some types of images
are only available via jigdo.

I've added an extra item for official testing DVD images. I've also removed
the info "all arches"/"i386 only" because it is out of date.

> More enfasis on the official images, even though the only ones we have
> available without jigdo are the netinst ones (I think that the netinst
> images should be announced in this page having a link to the netinst page
> from this one).

TBH, I'm a bit ashamed of the state of the netinst page. We have
- a couple of unofficial, fairly outdated images
- official, but still quite beta images

There is no "end-user support" for either of these - AIUI, the beta
installer netinst images are really just to test out the new installer, and
the debian-boot folks will not be delighted to answer mails of first-time
Linux users having trouble.

So IMHO at the moment telling people to use the netinst images is not
advisable because quite a few users will be frustrated by the current state
of things. Just my 2¢€...

> remove:
> Another group of people in Spain [...]

Done.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯