Re[2]: Future of debian-cd

Hi all!

bid> Since debian-cd is no longer available to the public, it is very
bid> difficult to test currently. Maybe someone could provide a
bid> current .deb package for testing or unstable, so people can
bid> actually try out the most recent version.

But why isn't it? I used it for a long time to provide most recent
testing and unstable images of debian here - still the old one works,
but for how long? Is there any way to get access to the cvs version by
now?

bid> DVD worked fine for 3.0r1/i386 (large ISO9660), I don't know
bid> about other architectures and I could not check this for 3.0r2
bid> yet.

I got working DVD here too, and also for 3.0r2. By the way, are there
any "official" ones right now? Last year (long ago :-) we talked about
the images and resulting jigdo templates here - they were/are very
big..

bid> Are the "maintainers" of the "testing" and "unstable" CDs/DVD
bid> images still using debian-cd or something else ?

For my part I use debian-cd - like written above an old version, in
fact the last one I got from cvs before the compromise of debian's
servers. Since then, every time I tried to logon to cvs.d.o I got a
"connection refused" after logging in as an anonymous user.

>> - how do you think we should proceed ? should I start from a
>> completely new repository and import only what I want to keep ?
>> should we work in a branch of the actual repository ?

I would say, starting a new repository would be the best case, since I
think a (more or less) new debian-cd script will be in many cases
differernt form the actual one.

bid> For me, it was a bit difficult to follow all the source code and
bid> understand about including and excluding packages. Maybe a
bid> central documentation file for people who want to help modify or
bid> extend debian-cd would be great. While bash is not the best
bid> programming language, I can't think of a more suitable one; maybe
bid> Perl.

Thanks Bernd! That would be my idea - the old one is very bad
documentated right, and it took me a long time to understand what it
does. So I also agree to do it now in script language - perl or python
would be glad. If I had to decide I would prefer python, it's easier
to maintain and read for "beginners" (and I have done a lot of work in
python but just some snippets of perl in the past, so this is my point
of view).

Cheers,
Jan