Re: A simple question about downloading debian-30r1-i386-binary-x.iso's

Richard Atterer <richard@list03.atterer.net> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:16:24AM +0000, john smith wrote:
> > A simple question about downloading debian-30r1-i386-binary-x.iso's
> >
> > Im currently wishing to download Linux, and was just wondering if i had to
> > download all of the ISO's on this page
> > "ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/i386/";
> >
> > Or wether i just have to download one.?
>
> See <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd>:
>
>   Which of the numerous CD images should I download? Do I need all of them?
>
>   No, you only need the CD images for your computer's architecture. The
>   architecture is the type of hardware your computer uses. By far the most
>   popular one is the Intel architecture, so most people will only want to
>   get the images for "i386".
>
>   Furthermore, in most cases it is not necessary to download all of the
>   images for your architecture. The packages on the CDs are sorted by
>   popularity: CD 1 contains the installation system and the most popular
>   packages. CD 2 contains slightly less popular ones, CD 3 even less
>   popular ones, etc. You will probably not need CD 3 and higher unless you
>   have very special requirements. (And in case you happen to need a package
>   later on which is not on one of the CDs you downloaded, you can always
>   install that package directly from the Internet.)
>
>   Finally, for each architecture there are two versions of the first CD,
>   the normal and the non-US version. You only need one of these! See below
>   for details.

This should be updated for the netinstall CDs. I hope sarge will get
official ones.

The minimum CD is 10 MB for setups with a already working router.
~30 MB for systems that needs ppp/dsl/(isdn?) for install.
~300 MB for useable system with or without internet.

The cdimages webpage has links to semi official images. Unless you
want to produce CDs you should never download the Debian CD set. Go to
the next shop and buy one. The media costs more.

MfG
        Goswin