Re: A simple question about downloading debian-30r1-i386-binary-x.iso's

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:16:24AM +0000, john smith wrote:
> A simple question about downloading debian-30r1-i386-binary-x.iso's
>
> Im currently wishing to download Linux, and was just wondering if i had to
> download all of the ISO's on this page
> "ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/debian-cd/images/3.0_r1/i386/";
>
> Or wether i just have to download one.?

See <http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#which-cd>:

  Which of the numerous CD images should I download? Do I need all of them?

  No, you only need the CD images for your computer's architecture. The
  architecture is the type of hardware your computer uses. By far the most
  popular one is the Intel architecture, so most people will only want to
  get the images for "i386".

  Furthermore, in most cases it is not necessary to download all of the
  images for your architecture. The packages on the CDs are sorted by
  popularity: CD 1 contains the installation system and the most popular
  packages. CD 2 contains slightly less popular ones, CD 3 even less
  popular ones, etc. You will probably not need CD 3 and higher unless you
  have very special requirements. (And in case you happen to need a package
  later on which is not on one of the CDs you downloaded, you can always
  install that package directly from the Internet.)

  Finally, for each architecture there are two versions of the first CD,
  the normal and the non-US version. You only need one of these! See below
  for details.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key:
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  0x888354F7
  ¯ '` ¯