Re: jigdo didn' t work for me. Bye bye Debian

--- Garry Heaton <garry@heaton6.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hello at Debian
>
> I'm new to Debian, having used Mandrake happily for years. I
> just tried
> using jigdo, followed all the instructions on the Debian site
> and would
> it download - would it not.

I agree, it could be simpler... I'm been a Debian users for a
couple of years now, but really, it is getting better...

Trust me, jigdo is a MUCH better system than it was before (I
cringe whenever I think about using the pseudo-image kit...)

> If anything is going to put new users off using Debian it is
> surely your
> reluctance to make ANYTHING simple. I mean, with all the other
> distros
> you just download the ISOs and that's it. I don't know what it
> is with
> the Debian crowd but this simple process has been substituted
> with:
>
> 1. Download (useless) jigdo (Windows)
> 2. Chase-up several mirror addresses
> 3. Run batch script
> 4. Try to work-out whether you should be entering /debian/ or
> /debian-non-US/
> 5. Second-guess what's required at each step
> 6. Wait for template file to load
> 7. Throw-up arms in exasperation when it refuses to download
> the files

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with using the Windows jigdo
software, but I do hear it does have issues. Running jigdo-lite
under Linux is pretty straight forward - have you checked out
the jigdo mini HOWTO?

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Debian-Jigdo/

Have you also tried to run jigdo under Mandrake? You can then
copy the ISO over to a Windows machine w/ a burner (I'm assuming
that's what you're doing)...

> Even before I managed to download anything Debian has
> surpassed its own
> reputation for being a time-waster designed only for uber-geek
> hobbyists. For anyone who values their time this distro is a
> complete
> non-starter.

I'm really sorry you feel this way. There are sites which *do*
carry the CDs - please check here before you give up completely:

http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/

Yes, Debian is on seven CDs, but you only really need the 1st
one, as it contains the most common packages. Others can be
easily pulled down from the 'net.

As far as /debian/ vs /debian-non-US/, the original difference
was that /debian-non-US/ had encryption which was non-exportable
from the US, but that distinction has blurred in the last couple
of years - I would recommend getting /debian-non-US/, since you
get access to more software that way *grin*

=====
Tony.

 - Ben Franklin