Re: 3.0r1 DVD ISO jigdo: Myth or Reality?

> On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 12:11:08PM +0100, Bernd Hentig wrote:
> > Maybe this was a wrong assumption since our installation of Debian 3.0
> > does not handle files > 2 Gigabyte.
>
> Are you using a 2.4 kernel? I'm afraid the default kernel is a 2.2 kernel.
> Either install a newer one or enter "bf2.4" at the CD boot prompt...

Yes, you were right - the default kernel ist still 2.2.20 with Debian GNU
Linux 3.0 (!). To be honest, I did not expect that any recent distribution
would not come with Kernel 2.4.x, so I didn't even check it. Shame on me ;-)

I installed Kernel 2.4.18-k7, but this was not trivial since the installation
did not generate a valid modules.conf automatically (as I would have expected),
so I had to manually enter all the modules for the machine hardware (like
Ethernet, SCSI, sound etc.).
Hopefully this problem will also be fixed with Debian 3.1 ?
I think many Linux Newbies will find it difficult to manually figure out their
hardware configuration.

Now the DVD images just build, I will test the installation from DVD+R/-R
today/tomorrow and let you know the results.
When running make official_images, this message appears:
---
Adding the selected packages to each CD :
Unable to find debootstrap program
---

I also noticed that there is still KDE 2.2.2 included, I think I need to
generate an image with KDE 3.1 updates for our customers. This might be
a non-trivial task too.

Regards
Bernd
---
ixsoft Softwareentwicklung und -vertrieb Bernd Hentig
	* Ihr Spezialist für Linux und BSD *
  Unter den Buchen 22E, D-16244 Altenhof, Germany
  Voice ++49 333 63 46 100 Fax ++49 333 63 46 109
           eMail Bernd.Hentig@ixsoft.de