Re: 3.0r1 DVD ISO jigdo: Myth or Reality?

Am Mon, 2003-03-03 um 15.22 schrieb Richard Atterer:
> On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 02:39:33PM +0100, LINUXMAN69 wrote:
> > Debian 3.0r1 CD images were released 2 months ago. Can we expect to have
> > official 3.0r1 DVD isos in the near future (or not) ? Is some work in
> > progress or we must assume that Debian DVD ISO is an abandoned task? A
> > status report would be right
>
> I'm not too sure. Steve said at one point that he was going to generate DVD
> images, but first there were hardware problems, and now (presumably) he
> can't find the spare time.

Well, we ran into several problems when generating the DVD images with
debian-cd on a Debian 3.0r0 server. We used to generate Debian CDs on
Red Hat Linux, the last version we did was 2.2r5 I think.
But with debian-cd for Woody, we could not get some of the required
packages (apt-get) to work on Red Hat 7.3, so we installed a Debian 3.0
server for this task, assuming that it would be more easy to do on a
"native" system.

Maybe this was a wrong assumption since our installation of Debian 3.0
does not handle files > 2 Gigabyte. After running debian-cd (the most
recent version from CVS) for some hours, the following messages
appeared:

 50.17% done, estimate finish Fri Mar  7 10:44:53 2003
/usr/bin/mkisofs: File too large. cannot fwrite 32768*1

The partition is 94% free:
/dev/hda7             39404620   2174280  35228644   6% /priv

So maybe this is the reason why there are no Debian 3.0r1 DVD images
available from anyone yet, unless we did something wrong during the
installation ;-)
However, I think we got apt-get to run on Red Hat 7.3 meanwhile and will
try to generate the DVD images on this system tonight. Hopefully this
will not cause other problems.

We intended to switch one of our servers from Red Hat to Debian GNU
Linux, but I think this cannot be done since we have a lot of files that
are bigger than 2 GB on our harddisks (I cannot remember we ever had
64-bit file size problems with Red Hat Linux). Maybe we have to wait for
SID final ? Will this be Debian 4.0 or 3.1 ?

Best Regards
Bernd Hentig

--
Mit freundlichem Gruß