Re: Bittorrent distribution of cdimages

jason andrade <jason@rtfmconsult.com> writes:

> On Mon, 5 Oct 2003, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > It would be good if debian had an official tracker (doesn't need to
> > have the image but it would be good).
>
> [...]
>
> > I'm all for it. Bittorrent is still one of the best.
>
> i've heard a fair amount of discussion about BT but still haven't
> figured out how we can also use a P2P app in a S2C (server2client)
> manner.  how can mirror sites also make available the ISO images
> (and other files) available via the concept of a BT 'server' which
> doesn't have to download anything but can be pointed at a file
> or number of files which are then accessible via BT clients ?
>
> and please don't say "just download the ISO and leave it running"
> as that isn't a viable idea from a server POV.

With bittorrent you have to have a running tracker. You also need
clients connected to the tracker that feed the data. That means each
mirror would have to run a bittorrent client on their local image.

Doogie was thinking about extending bittorrent to also download files
via http so normal http mirrors could be utilized too. Don't think
that will be ready for sarge though.

I don't think it would be too hard to get a group to mirror the debian
CD images with bittorrent to their servers and leave the clients
running for the first weak or so till the big rush is over. If Debian
says they will only do jidgo and bittorrent the first week that should
give enough incentive.

MfG
        Goswin