Re: Some thoughts

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Richard Atterer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 04:57:43PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> > On Sun, 13 Jul 2003, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
> >
> > > One suggestion for being able to have testing images that are just a
> > > simple repoint away from actual release would be to have a similar setup
> > > in the debian-cd dir as the main archive:
> > >
> > > debian-cd/
> > >   woody/
> > >   sarge/
> > >   stable -> woody
> > >   testing -> sarge
> > >
> > > And then just repoint the stable link at release time.
> >
> > And in each of these directories:
> > images/3.0_r1/hppa/
> >           .../arm/
> > jigdo/3.0_r0/i386/
> >           ../arm/
> >      /3.0_r1/i386/
>
> While we're at it, what about distribution of weekly snapshots? With
> new-style long filenames (say, "debian-sarge-030711-alpha-binary-1.iso"),
> rsyncing them will be very inefficient, and I doubt the mirrors will want
> to download all the data again every week.
>
> Possibilities:
>      1) Continue to use old-style names ("woody-i386-1.iso")
>      2) Only release as .jigdo files
>      3) Only release on one server, don't bother mirroring
>
> My preference is 2), but as usual I'm biased... :-)
>
> Another issue is to distinguish testing-but-just-about-to-be-released
> images from weekly testing snapshot images in a clear way - how? Or were
> you thinking of distributing the weekly snapshots in sarge/? If so, the
> images would have to be renamed on release... :-/

Yes, and problem is that rsync can't handle file renaming. I'd say that we
just keep the snapshots and testing stuff as jigdos, and then eventually
make isos when it is released. That way mirrors will have alreday rsynced
the jigdos and can make the isos themselves if they know how.

The point of having a sarge directory with a "testing" link (that is then
changed to a "stable" link) is to have the testing stuff out and close to
the final data when the release comes.

Perhaps we should go for the rsync hardlink tricks anyway? Just make a
standard release and mirroring script that handles a .latest/arm/1.iso
(and all the other numbers/arches).

/Mattias Wadenstein