Two issues on netinst-cd-images (module-path/mkinitrd)

Hi there!

I just installed Debian Testing using the netinst-cd-images created on
04-Jun-2003. During the installation I passed two problems that
interrupted the installation and required me to fix them. I didn't really
fixed them but I found workarounds, I am posting this because I think it
should be fixed some day and I don't have the time to seriously deal with
it.

The first problem concerns the path to the kernel-modules in the
installation system. According to modules.dep they should be found in
/kernel instead of /lib/modules/2.4.20-1-386/kernel. Unfortunately
/kernel doesn't exists. The unelegant way is to symlink /kernel to
/lib/modules/2.4.20-1-386/kernel in order to get the network up.

The second problem occurs when the kernel-package is installed. During
the process of this installation mkinitrd stops the installation by
complaining about being unable to determine the root filesystem. Taking a
look to /target/etc/fstab shows nothing but a comment, adding something
like "/dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults 0 1" solves this. I am wondering why
/etc/fstab isn't written earlier, maybe in the basepackages or after
creating the filesystems.

Maybe there is someone around who'd like to fix these issues ;-)

Best regards

Fabian