jigdo simplified?

a Chairde

I am writing here not as a Debian user but as an admirer.(Our server at work was
taken down for hardware upgrade after 510 days of trouble free service) The full
Debian set is rather overwhelming for my hardware. I however got rather excited
by the idea of jigdo, and wonder if I might make a suggestion which may make it
more usable. Downloading and installing a CD worth of software is nothing to be
taken too lightly, even in my case where I can do it at work during off-peak
hours and we have a 1Mb line.

So, you download all these files, and then start installing and are presented
with a Q$A session asking which packages should be installed, and find that only
10 or 20% of the files downloaded are actually used on your system. Would it be
possible to make these decisions before downloading? The idea is like this. I
connect to your servers and am presented with a list of the packages which are
available, and make my selection. The dependency tree is worked out and the
first thing I will download is a list of all the files that I need. My computer
can then download just these files. It would take quite a bit of work from the
Debian end to get this system up and running but would conceivably save a
considerable chunk of bandwidth both at the Debian end, and at the user end.

yours etc.

Leo Tilson

--- Msg sent via WebMail.Dublin.ie