Re: Patch for small cd images and producing them officially?

* Richard Atterer

| On Sun, Dec 22, 2002 at 02:20:27PM +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
| > So, going from five to two netinst images will cause less rather than
| > more confusion, I think.
|
| Going from five to _one_ even less so!

;)

| The question is: Do we really *need* two different variants of netinst
| images? For example, what "must-have" feature could a slightly larger
| CD have over a business-card-sized one? And would this feature be
| important for a significant percentage of users?

All people who install debian (unless they use ar and tar by hand)
need debootstrap.  Debootstrap installs base (and some extras, if you
want that).  This means that for all normal users, they'll need the
«normal netinst image».  Only people who put stuff on bbc will want
the smallest variant.

| Additionally, if there are several variants, we must also *support*
| them all, e.g. test them properly and provide end-user support for
| them.

Do we do that for all five variants today?

| Any instructions on how to install Debian with the CDs would also
| become more difficult for users to parse: "If you have variant A, cut
| through the red wire. If variant B, cut through the blue wire." :)

d-i is/should be smart enough to see «hmm, no base on this cd», we
need to get it from somewhere else (and then prompt for it).

We could make the support job easier for ourselves if we announced the
normal netinst cds with base on heavily, while the full isos and bbcs
were tucked a bit (not much, a bit) away.

                                                                      `. `'
                                                                        `-