Re: Patch to make it possible to toggle contrib on CDs

On Friday 06 December 2002 10:33 am, Santiago Garcia Mantinan wrote:
> > Why is it in contrib then ? Things like that only complicates life. :-(

Not sure about Open Office specifically, but IRAF, for example is in contrib,
because although it is open-source *in principle*, no one has managed to
build it from source on Debian (because it's a pain).  Upstream does provide
a binary built for Linux which runs on Debian (they probably actually built
it on Slackware in that case, given that they provide a separate Red Hat
version).

Similarly, Open Office is a bear to build from source (the full sources are
huge -- much larger than the program), so it may be in the same fix.  There's
also some argument going on over inclusion of modules which use LZW
compression (on debian-legal).  I never found out what the end result was (I
don't really use OOo).

But, yeah, it does make things complicated.

Cheers,
Terry