Re: Preparation of Debian GNU/Linux 3.0r1

[ please Cc: me, I'm not subscribed to this list ]

Hello,

I would like to inform you about annoying bugs in
woody's cd images: bugs #157014 and #161431. Briefly, if you install
woody from CD, your CDs will appear in sources.list as 'unstable' and
the packages will seem to come from 'testing' (as reported by
apt-show-versions). This breaks apt preferences and is confusing to
newbies who heard about stable, testing and unstable and expect they
have installed stable.

I believe the fix could be simple. Maybe the cause of packages appearing
to be from testing is that in dists/woody/main/binary-i386/Release file
it reads Archive: testing. (However, I haven't tried to fix it and see
if it helps. Somebody with deeper knowledge of the Debian archive should
probably immediately see if it's the cause or not.)

I'm not familiar with apt-cdrom's working, so I can't suggest any fix
for the secong bug.

It would be good to fix those bugs before the release of debian 3.0r1.

Thanks		Pavel Cahyna