Re: sarge CDs

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 17:43, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:04:48PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> > > Hrm? I thought we were going to move to raff for the extra speed and
> > > space? (Since we were going to do this months ago, I'd rather avoid
> > > putting that move off too much further...)
> > Well, it might be nice, but how can I do non-US CDs on raff?
>
> I'm still in favour of having a CD#n+1 non-US only CD, rather than
> alternate CD#1's personally, and doing the non-US CD entirely separately,
> on satie or open or wherever.

There are two problems with that as I see it:

   1) there's nowhere near a CD's worth in non-US, so it will almost
      always up the CD count by 1

   2) This might be considered a personal opinion, but I've always
      considered the true Debian distribution to include non-US, and the
      non-US setup to simply be an implementation detail that allows us
      to service the requirements of US law.  Packages in non-US get a
      slight second class citizen status as it is, relegating them to
      their own CD would reinforce that stigma, which I think would be
      unfortunate.

      In fact, I'd rather call the two versions of CD#1 something like
      CD1 and CD1_US.  Do you have a problem with that, for 3.0 r1.  I
      think it would cut down on the number of people outside the US who
      uselessly download both, or annoyingly get the US one, when they
      wanted the complete one.

While on the subject, do you know why is it that we don't seem to have
packages for lame & xine-css in non-US?  Do we need to set up more of
these (dmca.debian.org & patent.debian.org perhaps, and scatter the
non-US packages as appropriate?)

> But if that's not going to fly, it's not going to fly, which means
> torturing open forever more. *shrug*

Well, jigdo seems to have mostly solved the torture level, and open has
managed to drag itself to an uptime of 25 days, so while I'm still a bit
concerned about it, it seems to be behaving itself a lot better since
it's total body transplant.

Sorry I've not actually got round to the CDs --- it keeps being nudged
of the top of my to do list by paying clients (bastards ;-)

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/