Re: Naming convention for official .jigdo files

On Sat, 27 Jul 2002, Richard Atterer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the current naming scheme for .jigdo files will make it
> impossible for users to tell whether they're downloading 3.0r0 or
> 3.0r1 unless they actually download the .jigdo file and let jigdo-lite
> print the .iso name.
>
> That's not ideal - maybe it would be better to use the same name stem
> as for the iso files, e.g. "debian-30r0-i386-binary-1.jigdo"?

i actually think the iso filename is too long/descriptive given the location
anyway, e.g for us, /pub/debian-cd/3.0_r0/i386/<filename>.

there is already enough metadata in the path to let people know that the files
in the directory are iso images for woody for the i386 arch, so i prefer the
naming scheme we used to have of binary-i386-1.iso and so on.

i think something similar for jigdo would make sense, e.g

/pub/debian-cd/jigdo-area/3.0r0/i386/<files>
/pub/debian-cd/jigdo-area/3.0r1/i386/<files>
.
.

regards,

-jason