Re: What kernel stuff on CD1? Was Still no TeX in CD#1

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Santiago Vila wrote:

> On Wed, 30 May 2001, Philip Charles wrote:
>
> > The release.  We were told in no uncertain terms that we were not to mess
> > with task system.

> More than being a part of, x-window-system is the *only* package in
> the basic-desktop task.
>
> I think there is something fundamentally wrong in this task if it's
> called "basic" and, at the same time, it includes xspecs.
>
> There is also a `desktop' task containing x-window-system-core, which
> is the "good" one.
>
> I think the basic-desktop task should not exist, or it should not
> contain x-window-system, or we should not force it to be in the first CD.
>
> I would like to hear some comments about this from whoever created
> this weird "basic-desktop" task.

If you look at i18n you will see worse problems.

But we are stuck with what is there as far as woody is concerned.  We can
only do what we can given the restrictions imposed by a (hopefully)
imminent release.  We have made quite a lot of progess, at least a
stand-alone first CD does work, but it is far from perfect.  I cannot say
that I am happy with the situation.  Bitching about this situation has a
theraputic value, but it is not going to change anything.

Phil.

     I sell GNU/Linux & GNU/Hurd CDs.   See http://www.copyleft.co.nz