Re: What kernel stuff on CD1? Was Still no TeX in CD#1

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Philip Charles wrote:

> > This package depends on xspecs so it's certainly not for "normal users".
>
> We are operating with two sets of constraints.
>
> The task system.  x-window-system is part of task basic-desktop, so to
> remove it means that this task is incomplete and probably broken unless
> the first two CDs are used.  If a package is to be moved off the first CD
> then ../indices/override.woody.extra.main.gz needs to be checked to see if
> it is part of a task.  If it is, then moving it will probably break the
> task.
>
> The release.  We were told in no uncertain terms that we were not to mess
> with task system.

More than being a part of, x-window-system is the *only* package in
the basic-desktop task.

I think there is something fundamentally wrong in this task if it's
called "basic" and, at the same time, it includes xspecs.

There is also a `desktop' task containing x-window-system-core, which
is the "good" one.

I think the basic-desktop task should not exist, or it should not
contain x-window-system, or we should not force it to be in the first CD.

I would like to hear some comments about this from whoever created
this weird "basic-desktop" task.