Re: custom boot cd

I'll probably try unpacking the ISO and see if that does the trick :)

I guess all I should need to do is mount rescue.bin and copy the new custom
kernel into it, overwriting linux.bin and then run rdev.sh.

Is there a configuration file to tell the loader where to find the kernel
because there are at least 2 boot-floppy folders on my ISO, both of which
contain valid kernels?

Thanks for your help, David

> Is there a way to create a minimal woody install cd that contains a custom
> kernel? Ideally it would contain just the base file system needed to get
> Debian up and running.
>
> I need to be able to have ataraid support built into a 2.4.18 kernel
> straight from bootup so having my own custom boot cd rather than floppies
> would make the whole process much more reliable.

Hrm, do you have a local mirror and have checked out debian-cd? I suspect
that you can then just create your own "flavour" of kernel, and drop it into
the boot-floppies area, then persuade debian-cd/tools/boot/boot-i386 to use
that flavour for one of the CDs, or include it in the ISOLINUX choices...

Or just unpack one of the ISOs to a directory, do a switcheroo on kernel and
drivers.tgz files and remake the ISO, which is hackier but probably less
buy-in :}

--
Steve Haslam      http://www.arise.demon.co.uk/         araqnid@innocent.com
Debian GNU/Linux Maintainer                               araqnid@debian.org