Re: new debian CD mirror

Hello Yang,

it's great that mirror.ac.uk is mirroring Debian CDs - in my
experience (as an exchange student in the UK...) it's one of the
fastest sites in JANET.

On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 12:02:58PM +0100, Yang He wrote:
> The UK mirror service (http://www.mirror.ac.uk) is currently mirroring
> debian-jigdo:
> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.debian.org/debian-jigdo/ or
> ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.debian.org/debian-jigdo/

ATM we don't maintain a list of mirrors for the jigdo files - the two
(non-)us.cdimage sites seem to be enough for the demand.

> We also provide debian CD iso images (version 3.0_r0: i386 and
> source only):
> http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-cd/ or
> ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-cd/
> (Note rsync will be available very soon.)

Thanks, your site will appear on <http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/>
soon.

> We constructed debian CD iso images using jigdo and then we rsync to
> one of the official debian CD iso image sites, i.e.
> rsync://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-cd/. It works fine so far. Is there
> a better way to mirror debian CD iso images? If so, could you please
> let us know? Thanks very much.

The jigdo-mirror script does the same thing as jigdo-lite, but it's
designed to be run non-interactively, e.g. by cron. It is still a bit
beta, though - if you can find the time, try it out and tell me
whether it works for you.

> By the way, in case there's a new release, we would like to
> construct debian CD iso images of the new version using jigdo rather
> than pulling large iso images from the host site. Is it possible?

Yes, jigdo-mirror supports this. It requires a full Debian mirror as
well as a mirror of the jigdo/template files on the local machine.
Using these, it can usually construct the images and will not have to
download any further data. (It also requires a quite recent C++
compiler to compile the "jigdo-file" utility, e.g. GCC 2.95.)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _