Re: Debian 3.0 released. Jigdo files available.

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 07:33:15PM -0600, Georg Lehner wrote:
> When a package on the local mirror becomes outdated, the newer
> version is downloaded completely. This is not a big problem with
> small packages, but suppose a 150MByte openoffice.deb, which becomes
> repackaged because one configfile has changed.

Yes, and jigdo's solution is to include in the template not only a
checksum of the whole file, but also a checksum of the first 4096
bytes (by default).

At the moment, the additional checksum isn't used, it would be too
difficult to do this with wget... but the jigdo GUI app will use it.

If the first 4096 bytes of the old and new versions of the 150 MB
OpenOffice .deb are identical, then I can't help it <shrug> - it will
download the whole thing. But doesn't the start of the .deb contain
the control file etc.? If yes, it'll always be different.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _