Re: About harware detection and configuration tools in 1st CD

On May 31, Santiago Vila wrote:
> Mantas K. wrote:
> > Most simple users don't like debian, because they think, that there are not
> > user-friendly configuration tools (they simply download 1 CD, try to install
> > and find that they are rigth).
>
> Well, if they really think Debian is just CD #1, I would much prefer
> that they continue using Red-Hat or whatever...

Well, IMHO if a user needs more than CD #1 then they're doing
something more sophisticated that what Red Hat would include anyway.
In reality, I'll keel over and die if I meet anyone who *needs* more
than CDs 1 and 2 of woody; if they need anything else, it's one or two
"weird" packages that they're better off spending 10 minutes
downloading (on *dialup*) than spending $$ to buy all 6+ CDs.

Frankly we already have too many people who think that "I need all
6/7/8 CDs"; it's becoming a nightmare for distributors and mirrors
alike, especially since virtually nobody needs what's on 3+ anyway.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <chris@lordsutch.com> - http://www.lordsutch.com/chris/