Re: Please test this woody cd image

On Wed, Apr 10, 2002 at 11:06:44AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> The same iso image is available from those sites :
> http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/debian-cd/woody-i386-1.raw

I assume this is the same image announced on debian-testing (and
elsewhere a few days ago)?

> If you have troubles booting the CD, please report your problems to
> debian-cd@lists.debian.org (reply-to set) and give information about
> your computer (cpu, age, bios name & version, ...).

Dell Precision Workstation 530, Dell BIOS revision A05

bf24, ext3 partitions for / and /tmp, base loaded from network: didn't
work at all upon the first reboot. Error of 'base-config: cat::
command not found'. I could log in on tty2, but base-config simply
wouldn't run. I couldn't find any 'cat:' mentions in base-config, and
even when I symlinked /bin/cat: -> /bin/cat, it couldn't open whatever
file it had intended to cat.

idepci (aka linux, the default kernel entry) failed before I could
even partition. The only IDE in this PC is for the CD and ZIP drive,
and I was given no opportunity to load any SCSI drivers from the CD
before it wanted to partition the disk. I may have had the opportunity
to load drivers from a floppy, but since I had a standard and
otherwise supported Adaptec controller, I've never needed any sort of
drivers floppy for it before. (The gist of this part of the report is
that I don't know that idepci is a good choice for the default kernel
on the CD, or else I need to be able to load drivers from the first CD
as well as from floppy. Changing the default kernel is almost
assuredly the easier solution.)

compact, ext2 partitions for / and /tmp, base loaded from network,
worked fine.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro@tntech.edu