Re: Optimising Debian-CD

Le Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 11:43:18AM +0100, Philip Hands écrivait:
> If the CD building machine had a tendency to corrupt data comming off
> it's disks (as happened with a previous incarnation of open) or the
> mirroring run had failed in a subtle way, then a simple loop mount of
> each image, and running md5sum -c on each, should catch that straight
> away if the md5sums were not locally recalculated.

You can do whatever you want, but we should try to limit the number of
dependencies we create against the mirror. What I mean is that it should
still work even if the md5sum.gz is missing from the local mirror...

> A slightly more ambitious replacement would be to generate the Packages
> files by taking the records out of the main archive's Packages files.

I don't think it's worth it. On the contrary, building it again using
the overrides file (local and from the mirror) is a good idea since it
lets you define your own "standard" for example (overriding Debian's
"standard" distribution).

> Opinions?

Yeah, you're one of the very few people who builds images for all
arches, so it's an improvement for you since it would be faster ... but
I don't see what other wins we'd have. The possibility that the files
get corrupted between the mirror and the CD set is quite limited.