Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Sun, Apr 07, 2002 at 12:24:53AM -0700, Erik Andersen wrote:

> The slackware installer already uses isolinux, which lets
> then pack multiple kernels onto a single CD....  Here is
> what they do:
>
>     http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/slackware/isolinux/

The same with gentoo, they have even managed to fit a 2.4 kernel on
their first and only CD.
But I have at least one Computer (i386, from end of 1996) where isolinux
fails.

MULTIBOOT seems to work everywhere at least with the first image, but it
fails on 2 newer systems.

Regards
Christian Leber

P.S. I'm not a developer or know much about kernels, but i can not
imagine that 2.4 is less stable then 2.2.
But what is with Debian 3.0r6? How many people will be able to install
with kernel 2.2 (because of there new boards, USB keyboard etc.)?
Will then kernel 2.2 really be maintained? No, it will be in the
same mode like 2.0 today.
--
  "Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
   nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."       (Aurelius Augustinus)