Re: 2.4 kernel as default boot kernel on CD #1 ??

On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 06:22, Anthony Towns wrote:

> I'm not really sure what part of "_STOP IT_" is so difficult to
> understand, but please _STOP IT_. If you want to move the bf2.4 kernel
> images onto the CD#2 bootsector, that's fine. But the default kernel
> for woody, and hence the image that should be on CD#1, has always been
> and remains 2.2.

Absolutely right.

The closest I'd be willing to go towards making a change, would be some
form of kernel selection menu on the first CD, still with the vanilla
2.2 kernel as the default, but giving people the choice even if they
only get CD#1.

That would be conditional on some evidence being forthcomming that the
resulting CD would be bootable on at least as many machines as is
currently the case.  Can anyone provide that?

The ISOLINUX/MEMDISK thing mentioned earlier looks interesting.  Has
anyone played with this?  Presumably we could use MEMDISK to select
between boot floppies, with no changes required to the boot floppy
images, so would only change things by bumping a few packages off the
end of CD#1.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Say no to software patents!  http://petition.eurolinux.org/