RE: netinst

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Atterer [mailto:deb-cd@list.atterer.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 5:44 PM
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org; debian-cd@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: netinst

[edited for brevity]

Sorry for the cross-posting, I just thought I'd add my $0.02...

> http://people.debian.org/~ieure/netinst/
>
> I must say I haven't tried them out myself, but apparently other
people have successfully used them.

I can personally attest to the fact that Ian Eure's netinst 3.0 disk
worked wonders, at least for me.  It has several different kernel images
on it, including one that made installing ReiserFS a snap.  I believe
they all use a 2.2.20 kernel.  Also, he has a list of various
motherboards that support that El Torito multiple-boot scheme.  Even if
yours doesn't, it "should" default to the vanilla image.  It's worth a
shot -- the DL is only 35 megs.

I don't know the context of the original question, since I'm not
subscribed to debian-cd, but even the plain old "floppy" method is able
to do an install off the net easily, at least if you've got a
cablemodem.  As for installing via PPP, I haven't heard any success
stories.

Jeff Bonner