Re: Minimal bootable i386 CD image for 2.2r5

Goswin Brederlow <goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de> writes:

> Richard Atterer <deb-cd@list.atterer.net> writes:
>
> > wouldn't it be nice if we could provide an official "net install CD
> > image" for the upcoming potato release?
> >
> > AIUI, there is no support for this in debian-cd yet. It would be nice
> > if somebody who has created such an image before could add that
> > support, or at least say what to watch out for.
> >
> > Or should we not bother with this for potato, and only start doing it
> > for woody?

> Do it for woody. It needs to be tested (it == the net cd and woody)
> and potato is kind of fixed.
>
> I did a install via network with a woody bootfloppy (compact set). One
> floppy and network. Thats real fun to do.
>
> The net CD should be a bit bigger. I opt for two CDs:
>
> 1. minimal set. Just a bootimages and drivers. Maybe even only the
> complete 5 disks set bootable from cd. (10-20MB at most)
>
> The first CD is ment for hosts in a network. Direct internet access so
> base is not needed. Don't bother with 1.2 MB disks there or disk
> images at all. The CD should be only for booting directly. Just a big
> comfortable floppy so to speak.
>

> 2. full set. All disks, base, isdn, pppoe (50-100MB at most)
>
> The second CD would be for standalone systems with some kind of
> internet access, like a dsl modem. You might need to install base,
> configure ppp, read the help and HOWTOs on dsl or similar. There
> should be everything on it to get started. a browser and irc client
> should be there too, in case one gets the net working but needs help
> then. Or to read the *.html docs.

3. live CD. Fully functional Debian, usable (to some extent) from CD,
   to test/estimate to see what you get using Debian without the hasle
   of a prior full install. (size will be around 600 MB). This will
   include the possibility of a X-based install system with all
   options of a full GNU/Linux system on hand.

Bye
  Christian

--
Dipl.-Ing. Christian Leutloff, Aachen, Germany  christian@leutloff.de