Re: CD Images for 2.2r5 (was: Minimal bootable i386 CD image for 2.2r5)

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002, Martin Schulze wrote:

> lance wrote:
> > > For silver disks the rule is to updated against resources on the
> > > network as soon as the machine hits the internet.  This is independend
> > > of which revision of potato is on the cd, there are most probably always
> > > updates out there, mostly security.
> > >
> > > Releasing another revision just ensures the so called ``stable''
> > > distribution on the ftp server is more stable and has less security
> > > bugs.
> > >
> > Maybe the .iso images dont need to be updated for point releases then ??
>
> They don't need to since they're only secondary source, but it would
> be nice if they would and also several people asked for that.
> Additionally, it would be nice for those who are fetching new images,
> to provide current ones.  However, if they're not created, so what?
> Update from the network and your fine and use a current system.  No problem.

If you have a network connection - but not for a new install .

> > > It's not a Release, the release will be called woody, it's just a minor
> > > revision.
> >
> > Try telling customers that ... the day that 2.2r5 is released they want it
> > - and they dont want 2.2r4 any more :(  If we have 300 sets left x 6 CD's
> > that is a lot of table mats ...
>
> In that case one can't sell silver Debian CD's.  I'm sorry, if that
> would be the case, a Debian CD is somewhat unsellable.

Silver pressed CD's are IMHO preferable to CD-R Gold disks.

> > I guess an extra update cd is the way to go ...
>
> I've discussed that with a German distributor who was interested in
> this.
>
> >From a selling distributor pov this would be the best.  Press r0 as
> silver

We pressed R0,1,2 and 3 as Silver, and havent had any problems until now -
because there has been enough time between R releases.

> and provide an update cd containing everything from r0 to the
> current stable system.  Such a CD image should be placed on
> cdimages.debian.org as well, so distributors have an easy job
> duplicating it.

Preferably also an update image from R4 to R5 ...

Regards
Lance