Re: How do I create a Packages file?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 12:21:10PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> The generated path (in the Packages file) should be relative to the root
> of the mirror so you generate it this way :
> $ cd /mirror/debian
> $ apt-ftparchive packages dists/stable/local >dists/stable/local/Packages

ISTR apt didn't pick the Packages file up via HTTP when I did
something like this a while ago - you *have* to gzip it to make
everything work. I use the following Makefile rule (the current
directory must be the one containing 'dists' when it is invoked):

# create Packages and Sources files
deb:
	@for x in `find . -type d -name 'binary-*'`; do \
	    cmd="apt-ftparchive packages $$x | gzip -9 > $$x/Packages.gz"; \
	    echo "$$cmd"; eval "$$cmd"; \
	done
	@for x in `find . -type d -name 'source'`; do \
	    cmd="apt-ftparchive sources $$x | gzip -9 > $$x/Sources.gz"; \
	    echo "$$cmd"; eval "$$cmd"; \
	done

Cheers,

  Richard