Re: "unimaging" cd images

On Tue, 1 May 2001, Aaron Walker wrote:

> I have my debian .iso images and I am wanting to "unimage" them and put them
> on my computer so that I can install debian on a computer over the LAN.
> What program (for winblows since I don't have linux installed yet) can I use
> to "unimage" these ISO images?
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron
>
> P.S.  I am not subscribed to this mailing list, so it'd be much appreciated
> if you could cc all replies to this address.  thanks again.

Since both answers I saw where off-topic (one for Linux and one for floppy
images -- please read the question first, gentlemen!), I'll try my guess.

I don't know of any M$ utility to read the contents of .iso images (well,
maybe some CD burning program can, but that'd be quite a hassle), so I suggest
you just burn a CD of it and take it to the other computer.

But if that computer doesn't have a CD-ROM drive, put the CD in your Win box,
install a web server there and set the document-root to E: (or whereever your
CD-ROM drive is). That way you should be able to access the CD using HTTP from
the Debian box (but then you need rescue, root and drivers floppies).

If you don't have a CD writer (but then why downloading the .iso's??) and want
to mess around a bit, put the .iso file in a directory that's exported as a
Windows Networking shared folder, install the Debian base system on the other
box using floppies, install the smbfs module, mount the windows shared folder
on your Debian box, and finally loop-mount the .iso. Might just work, but
don't blame me if it doesn't ;-)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer